Welcome to the Stanton St Quintin Village Website
Stanton St Quintin is a small village and parish in the North West of Wiltshire; about 4 miles north of Chippenham and 5 miles south of Malmesbury. The parish includes Lower Stanton St Quintin, on the A429 as well as Buckley Barracks and part of Hullavington Airfield. It is partly bounded by the M4 motorway.
The area has a long history with the earliest evidence of settlement coming from the site of a Roman villa which was found at Stanton Park. The village and manor are mentioned in the Domesday Book and a Church is believed to have stood here from the 12th century. The name ‘Stanton’ has its origins in the Saxon for ‘stoney’ and the ‘St Quintin’ suffix was in use by 1283, but it had an alternative suffix ‘FitzHugh’ in the early 16th century; being the surnames of lords of the manor. The population was never large until land was purchased by the MoD to create Hullavington Airfield when the population grew to over a 1000.
The village has a number of other fine websites covering The Primary School, The Neighbourhood Plan and the Parish Hall and you can find links to them by following the Village Contacts menu tab.